New York Times 100 years ago today, August 5, 1913:
Battle with Warships Expected — Fight on West River, Result Unknown.
BUT LOYALISTS REJOICE
Revolt Is Believed to be Practically Suppressed and Canton Celebrates End of Uprising.
SHANGHAI, Aug. 4.— Shots were exchanged to-day between the Government cruisers and the Wu-Sung forts, held by the rebels, but without result.
The negotiations for the surrender of the forts have proved futile, and a stiff fight is probable there when Admiral Tseng has cleared the Shanghai district of rebels.
LONDON, Tuesday, Aug. 5.— A dispatch to The Times from Shanghai says that the negotiations on the part of the Government forces for the surrender of the rebels have been dropped and that sharp fighting appears to be inevitable.
The situation up the river, the correspondent adds, is extremely confusing. Apparently the Government troops control the railway practically to Pu-Kow, west of Nanking, and the rebels are tending to drift down country between Nanking and Chin-Kiang.
While the Government has the whip hand, the correspondent concludes, there is no prospect of an early cessation of all hostilities.
CANTON, Aug. 4.— A battle was fought yesterday near Shiu-Hing, on the West River, between 10,000 Cantonese revolutionists and a Northern army under Gen. Lung Chi-kuang.
The result has not yet been made known here.
HONGKONG, Aug. 4.— The Southern Chinese rebellion has been practically suppressed and the declaration of independence of the revolutionary provinces has been abrogated. Reports from Canton say the populace there are celebrating the ending of the uprising with public rejoicings and the explosion of firecrackers.
It is said that Gen. Lung Chi-kuang. the victorious commander of the Government troops from Kwang-Si, has been appointed Governor General of the province of Kwang-Tung, while his brother has been nominated as his assistant.
The rebel Gov. Chang of Kwang-Tung, who said at the beginning of the revolutionary movement that he disapproved of the independent policy of the Southern States, is expected in Hongkong to-night. He shot his two military advisers, Chan Chung-ying and Wang Suit-sun, and an army officer, as he suspected them of intrigue.
The artillerymen of Canton killed their Lieutenant Colonel and then marched to the Governor's offices, where they looted the treasury.
One of the shells fired by the artillerymen fell in the Prefect's offices and killed about a dozen pedestrians.
Fighting continues along the West River, where the rebels have captured a gunboat.
The chief problem of the authorities consists in dealing with the looters.
PEKING, Aug. 4.— The rebel forces in the Province of Kiang-Si were driven back all along the line after a serious engagement on Thursday and Friday with the Northern Government forces, who captured a strong position, mainly through their superior gunnery.
The rebels had been reinforced by detachments of revolutionists from the Provinces or Kwang-Tung, Hu-Nan, and Ngan-Hwei, and numbered 25,000 men. They retreated toward the South.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.