Friday, November 2, 2012

Turks' Commander Tells Of A Victory.

New York Times 100 years ago today, November 2, 1912:
Reports Bulgarian Defeat on Eastern Line and a General Advance of His Army.
SOUGHT TO HEM IN THE FOE
Another Constantinople Report Has It, However, That the Weary Armies Are Now Resting.
    CONSTANTINOPLE, Nov. 1.— The Turkish Army has recaptured Bunarhissar from the Bulgarians, and also has defeated the foe in the vicinity of Visa, according to dispatches received this afternoon from Nazim Pasha, Commander in Chief of the Turkish forces, who declares the Bulgarian losses were heavy, and says that all the Turkish Army corps have now been ordered to advance.
    The dispatch, announcing the recapture of Bunarhissar, was sent by Nazim Pasha at 4:45 o'clock this afternoon, and said the Bulgarian column had been cut off.
    A telegram from Nazim, sent at 2 o'clock this afternoon, said:
    "Our right wing has been advancing since yesterday from Visa. Mahmoud Mukhtar Pasha's army has vanquished the Bulgarian column and now all of our army corps have been ordered to advance."
    A communication, sent by Nazim Pasha to the Sultan during the morning, stated that the Bulgarian forces gradually were being hemmed in on four sides. It especially commended the conduct of his troops at Visa, who were said to be fighting with splendid devotion and courage.
    A dispatch, under date of Thursday. received from the Turkish Commander in Chief, said the Bulgarians received heavy losses in Wednesday's fighting at Bunarhissar, and that a quantity of artillery pieces, rifles, ammunition, and other equipment were captured by the Turks.
    Late to-night it was reported that fighting had been suspended by the Turkish and Bulgarian Armies, the men of both of which were suffering from fatigue from the battle that had been in progress continuously for four days.
    Almost uninterruptedly the battle has proceeded, the waning moon having afforded sufficient light at night for the armies to continue their murderous onslaughts against each other. Turk and Bulgar have been locked in a grapple which will be broken only by the decisive defeat of one or the other.
    The dearth of news from the front Wednesday and Thursday had given rise to a feeling of despondency, and sensational rumors of Turkish reverses gained currency. The official reports proved these rumors to be unfounded. Telegrams from various sources gave favorable accounts of the military situation, and the troops commanded by Mahmoud Mukhtar in the vicinity of Visa were especially commended.
    It is alleged that, realizing the gravity of the situation, the Bulgarian commanders have withdrawn the army at Kustenje and their forces before Adrianople and that these troops are being hurried to support the main Bulgarian Army's centre.
    Some idea of the desperate nature of the fighting is gathered from the fact that over 5,000 wounded soldiers arrived in Constantinople to-night from the front. Fortunately a majority of the bullets drilled clean holes in their victims and these will heal rapidly. A batch of deserters arrived with the wounded.

Indignant Over Greek Attack.
    Much indignation and surprise was expressed here to-day over the fact that a Greek torpedo boat had succeeded in entering the Gulf of Salonika last night, despite the mines and heavily armed forts, and blown up the Turkish battleship Feth-i-Bulend. The commandant of the forts will be called to account for permitting this Greek incursion.
    The movement of troops to the front continues. A battalion of Kurdish and Albanian volunteers marched through the streets of Pera this evening on the way to the railway station. The men were frequently cheered, and appeared to be in the best of spirits.
    Essad Pasha, commander of the Turkish forces at Scutari, telegraphing under date of Oct. 30 to the commander of the Turkish corps at Salonika, said:
    "Send me some Turkish troops. It is impossible to hold out at this place with Albanians alone."
    Essad Pasha himself is an Albanian.
    At El Bassan, a town of 15,000 inhabitants, 64 miles southeast of Scutari, in the vilayet of Monastir, only 3,000 of the 10,000 Albanians responded when called to the colors. The Turkish commander there also is asking for Turkish troops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.