Thursday, November 8, 2012

Turks Would Continue War.

New York Times 100 years ago today, November 8, 1912:
Get Reports of Successes — Refugees to be Sent to Asia Minor.
    CONSTANTINOPLE, Nov. 7.— Public opinion in Constantinople is strongly opposed to the idea of seeking mediation or peace.
    Nazim Pasha, the Turkish commander-in-chief, has reported to the Government that the army is determined to fight until it is victorious or is absolutely defeated. He regards the reverses suffered as unfortunate, but says that the brave Ottoman army is confident of ultimate success, and that the whole corps of officers are unanimous in favor of continuing the war.
    The principal officers in Constantinople have handed to the Grand Vizier, Kiamil Pasha, a signed declaration in the same spirit, and the Party of Union and Progress (Young Turks) promises to support the Government in the policy of prosecuting the war with energy.
    These considerations are having weight with the Government.
    The commander of the western Ottoman army telegraphs that Zerovitch, which is on the southernmost loop of the Salonika-Monastir Railway, has been recaptured from the Greeks. He also reports that a Servian cavalry detachment with machine guns has been routed at Perlepe.
    Reconnaissances by the eastern army to-day beyond Tchorlu failed to encounter any Bulgarians, but Nazim Pasha reports that a Bulgarian reconnoitring party wan repulsed about four miles from Rodosto.
    So far as can be learned here, there has been very little change in the military situation in the past twenty-four  hours. A sort of self-imposed armistice obtains on the Thracean plains. Both sides appear to require time to rest and reorganize after their recent exhaustive efforts.
    Further heavy rains have transformed the plains into a morass. The roads are most difficult for transport, and it is believed by Turkish officials that probably a week will elapse before hostilities are resumed along the Tchatalja lines, which battle will, it is expected, decide the campaign unless peace comes to spare the belligerents further carnage.
    The rumor that Salonika has fallen is not confirmed, but it is known that the town was hard pressed.
    Abdullah Pasha, lately commanding the Eastern Army, has arrived at Constantinople.
    The Vali of Adrianople has sent a dispatch briefly outlining recent operations. He says the latest sortie took place yesterday, with severe losses to the Bulgarians.
    Mussulman refugees continue to arrive at the outskirts of the capital from practically the whole country south of the Bulgarian advance. The scene outside tile city walls at the Adrianople gate is one of direful distress. Men, women, and children, carts, and cattle are huddled together. The authorities are trying to supply the immediate wants of the refugees, and have decided to send them to Asía Minor. Thousands have tramped the country during the last ten days and have undergone intense suffering. They say they feared that the invaders would burn their villages.
    The Ambassadors of the five powers held a meeting this morning at the Porte, and there met the Grand Vizier and the Foreign Minister. It is understood that they discussed measures of public safety and the question of mediation, but nothing is known of the decisions reached. The powers as yet have made no move with reference to mediation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.